|DeQuincy, Louisiana, is located in the extreme northern part of Calcasieu Parish in a six-mile square block which projects into Beauregard Parish. The Abstract of Title to DeQuincy shows that Thomas and Bertrand Beers bought several thousand acres of land which included the site of DeQuincy. The same abstract shows that on May 17, 1890, there was filed with the Secretary of State of the State of Louisiana a charter of the Calcasieu, Vernon and Shreveport Railway. This corporation was authorized “to build and operate railways, construct wharves, warehouses, ere., to have and hold both real estate and personal property.” A deed dated May 21,1892, shows that Thomas and Bertrand Beers conveyed 9,749.28 acres of land to the Calcasieu, Vernon and Shreveport Railway.
In the meantime, far to the north in Kansas City, Missouri, a young missionary named Arthur E. Stilwell was dreaming of building a railway from Kansas City to the Gulf of Mexico, “straight as the crow flies”. Financed mainly by European capital, the Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Gulf crept slowly southward, laying out towns as it went.
At the site of the future DeQuincy, the plans called for a bend in the line to the southwest toward Beaumont, Texas, and then to the new terminal at Port Arthur, Texas. This last city named in honor of Mr. Stilwell. Mr. Stilwell followed the policy of buying out short railway lines that could be incorporated into the “Pee Gee” line. Somewhere, he conceived the idea of buying the line and right of way of the Calcasieu, Vernon and Shreveport, extending the line to the new town of DeQuincy and making a connection with the Southern Pacific line at Westlake. From there the trains of the “Pee Gee” could be routed into Beaumont.
On May 25, 1896, all of the assets of the railway except the line and right of way itself were transferred to the Edgewood Company. The line and right of way were then sold to the Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Gulf Railway.
The original townsite of DeQuincy was laid out about 1896 or 1897 when the main line of the KCP&G reached the site. The line from DeQuincy to Lake Charles was completed before the line to Beaumont and the first trains ran over the Lake Charles-DeQuincy Branch. The first train for Lake Charles left Kansas City at 3 p.m. June 20, 1897, and reached Lake Charles via DeQuincy June 28, 1897.
DeQuincy was incorporated as a village on June 13, 1913. About the same time that the incorporation took effect, the New Orleans, Texas and Mexico Railway, now part of the Missouri Pacific Lines, was being built from the east to DeQuincy. The new line established a terminal and division headquarters at DeQuincy.
The new railway brought new people to town, and soon they and their families found places in the social, economic and religious life of the community.
DeQuincy’s contribution to World War I, in addition to the men who served directly in the armed forces, was in the form of railway transportation and supplying forest products, lumber, piling and gum turpentine. DeQuincy was never a “saw mill town” in the usual sense of the times, but was the shopping center for the forest products industry .
About 1921 Mr. W. B. Logan came to town with an idea for using the stumps remaining from the lumbering industry and The Acme Products Company was formed.
Mr. Logan brought with him a number of energetic young men who remained to become leading citizens of DeQuincy. In 1957 the company, then known as The Heyden-Newport Company, closed down when all of the stumps that it was profitable to process were exhausted. DeQuincy continued to grow and progress during the twenties, but like all towns and land cities in America, was hard hit during the depression. The Newport Plant and the railways operated with skeleton crews and unemployment was common to most people. The same spirit that made the town grow in the beginning was still present, and with Đại lý bong88
Early in World War II it became apparent that the DeQuincy area was to play a leading part in the training of the Army. In 1940, Captain Purcell of the Army, appeared in DeQuincy and began contracting land owners to secure permission to use I their land for the Louisiana Maneuvers of 1941. ket qua xo so mien bac
DeQuincy had always been an open range cattle and sheep country. After World War II the lumber companies, who owned most of the land, started a program of reforestation with the results that the ranges were now fenced and planted in pine trees. The cattlemen who remained in business now turned from open range scrubs to .well-bred beef cattle raised behind fences and cared for by modern means. The area is just beginning to realize income from the reforestation program with the sale of pulp wood, posts and poles.
DeQuincy has never had a real old-fashioned “oil boom”, but for the last generation there has been steady development of the oil business. Producing wells are found in several spots surrounding the town and there is nearly always one or more exploration crews in town. DeQuincy is the headquarters for several drilling and well servicing companies.